| Home | E-Submission | Sitemap | Contact us |  
top_img
Korean J Med Educ > Volume 8(2); 1996 > Article
Korean Journal of Medical Education 1996;8(2): 153-163. doi: https://doi.org/10.3946/kjme.1996.8.2.153
The Present Status of Curriculum Committees of Medical Schools in Korea
Pock Soo Kang
Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Yeungnam University College of Medicine, Taegu, Korea.
ABSTRACT
The survey on the present status related to the operation of curriculum committees of medical schools was conducted from November 1st to 30, 1995. Of 32 school of medicine, 29 schools responded to the survey. The summary of findings is as follows: 1) Eighteen schools or 62 percent of schools surveyed had written regulations for the curriculum committee while the remaining 11 schools or 38 percent did not have any written statements. 2) While names of the committee varied, the most commonly used ones were curriculum committees and educatuion reform committees. 3) Three different types of committees' organizational structures were found as following: a) chair-person, secretary and members(14 schools or 48.3%) b) chair-person and members(10 schools or 34.5%) c) chair-person, vice chair-person, secretary and members(4 schools or 13.8%) 4) The number of committee members ranged from seven to twenty, an average of 12.1members. The chair-persons of committee appointed were deans(10.3%), associate deans(48.3%) and professors (41.4%). The selection methods for the committee members included (1) appointment by the dean (79.3%), (2) appointment by the dean after the recommendation by the chairperson of the committee(17.2%), (3) confirmation by faculty council by the recommendation made by the dean (3.5%). The method adopted for the change of committee members included (1) all members replaced at the same time at the and of terms of current member(27.6%), (2) 50 percent of committee members were replaced (24.1%), (3) other methods. 5) The most of curriculum committees hold their meetings irregularly (82.7%) while one school (3.5%) holds the meetings once per semester, three schools(10.3%) hold monthly meetings and one school reported to hold weekly meetings. The average numbers of meetings held in 1994 ranged from two to eleven, averaging 5.3 meetings. Average attendance rate was 72 percent, ranging from "less than 60 percent" (4 schools or 13.8%) to "80 percent or more" (8 schools or 27.6%). The commonly held meeting time was between 4 to 5 pm (55.1%). 6) The main functions of the curriculum committees reported by fourteen schools out of eighteen schools which have written regulations for the curriculum committee included educational evaluation, improvement of operational manuals of curriculum, allotment of credit hours and class hours, curriculum development and additions and deletions of courses. 7) The average expenses incurred for the activities of curriculum committees in 1994 reported was 2,545,000 won ranging 0 won to 24,000,000 won. The funds obtained for the activities of curriculum committees of 6 schools in 1995 ranged from 500,000 won to 35,000,000 won. Of 23 schools, fourteen schools(60.9%) reported to have easy access to financial resources for funding the activities of the curriculum committee while nine schools(39.1.0%) had difficulties in obtaining the funding support. In conclusion, the survey revealed that the most of medical schools in the country have established formal mechanisms for the development, monitoring and evaluation of medical curriculum. However, the writer feels that medical curriculum committees need to have paradigm shift in order to meet the challenges of globalization, technological revolution, resource competition and changing demands in health needs. It is thus recommended the medical curriculum committees take initiatives in meeting these challenges through paradigm shift in medical education appropriate for the 21st century.
Keywords: curriculum committee;medical school
Editorial Office
The Korean Society of Medical Education
(204 Yenji-Dreamvile) 10 Daehak-ro, 1-gil, Jongno-gu, Seoul 03129, Korea
Tel: +82-2-2286-1180   Fax: +82-2-747-6206
E-mail : kjme_office@daum.net
About |  Browse Articles |  Current Issue |  For Authors and Reviewers
Copyright © 2022 by Korean Society of Medical Education.                 Developed in M2PI